The world may think you are only one person--But to one person, you may be their world.
The Online Magazine
for Certified Nursing Assistants
Patient Care Technician Resources
CNA Skill Providing Perineal Care for Female Patient
During CNA classes students will learn how to do proper perineal care for the female patient/ resident. Perineal care is often done during a bath or most often as a separate procedure.
Providing proper perineal care for female patients/resident not only prevents skin breakdown of perineal area, it prevents itching, burning, body odor, and infections. This care is very important in maintaining a persons comfort. Frequent care is required for those who are incontinent or for those who have an indwelling catheters. Certified nursing assistant will need to make the effort to respect the modesty of the patients/residents.
CNA Skills Steps to Provide Perineal Care (peri-care)
- Explain procedure, speaking clearly and gently to patient/resident
- Provide Privacy by drawing the curtain closed
- Check water for temperature and safety – have patient/resident verify the water for their comfort
- Place a pad under resident/client before your begin washing
- Expose the perineal area without over exposing the person
- Begin by applying soap to a wet wash cloth
- Start by washing the area front to back, always using a clean area for each stroke
- Gently Pat dry the genital area
- next you will want to lightly turn the patient/resident to wash rectal area front to back
- Reposition the patient/ client
- Empty the wash pan. Then rinse and dry the basin
- Dispose of all dirty towels and wash cloths
- Place the Call Bell/light device is within reach