4CNAs The Online Magazine
for Certified Nursing Assistants
The world may think you are only one person--But to one person, you may be their world.
CNA Skills: Wheelchair Transfer
Steps to Transfer Client from bed to wheel chair using Transfer Belt
- Explains procedure, speaking clearly and slowly to client
- Provide Privacy is by drawing curtain
- Position wheelchair at foot of bed facing head of bed
- Fold up footrests on wheelchair
- Lock wheels on wheelchair
- Provide instructions to enable client to assist in transfer including signal to alert them to stand
- Stand facing client during transfer. Alert the client to stand on count of 3.
- Turn client and Lower client into wheelchair
- Position client with hips touching the back of chair
- Position feet on foot rests
- Call bell device is within reach