The world may think you are only one person--But to one person, you may be their world.
The Online Magazine
for Certified Nursing Assistants
Patient Care Technician Resources
Kansas Medication Aide Regulations and Training Programs
For those who are interested in becoming a Medication Aide in the state of Kansas must first meet the following requirements:
- Individuals must be a CNA currently listed on the Kansas nurse aide registry with no pending or current prohibitions against that individual’s certification; or be a qualified intellectual disability professional;
- successfully complete a course in medication administration approved by the secretary;
- pass the state test approved by the secretary; and
- be at least 18 years old.
Kansas also has guidelines when it comes to being eligible to enroll in one of the states medication aide courses.
- Be a CNA listed on the Kansas nurse aide registry with no pending or current prohibitions against that individual’s certification
- have been screened and tested for reading and comprehension of the written English language at an eighth-grade level; or be a qualified intellectual disability professional employed by an intermediate care facility for people with intellectual disability.
Each medication aide course in Kansas must meet the following requirements:
- Consist of at least 75 hours, which shall include at least 25 hours of clinical instruction;
- be prepared and administered in accordance with the “Kansas certified medication aide curriculum” and the “Kansas certified medication aide course instruction manual,” as adopted by reference in K.A.R. 26-50-12; and be sponsored by one of
1. A postsecondary school under the jurisdiction of the state board of regents;
2. A state-operated institution for persons with intellectual disability; or
3. A professional health care association approved by the secretary.
The states doesn’t allow any correspondence course approved as a medication aide course. However, they do have rules when it applies to distance-learning offering and each computer-based educational.
The state test for medication aides
The state test must be administered by the secretary or the secretary’s designee and in accordance with the “Kansas certified medication aide course instruction manual,” as adopted by reference in K.A.R.26-50-12. The test will consist 85 multiple-choice questions. Students will need a score of at least 65 correct answers that will constitute a passing score. Individuals will have only two attempts within 12 months after the beginning date of the course to pass the state test for medication aides. If the person does not pass the test within this 12-month period, individuals must retake the medication aide course. Each time the person successfully completes the course, the person shall have two attempts to pass the state test within 12 months after the beginning date of the course. The number of times a person may retake the course is unlimited.
For those individuals that are listed on the Kansas nurse aide registry with no current or pending prohibitions and whose training has been deemed equivalent to the Kansas medication aide course shall have no more than one attempt to pass the state test within 12 months after the beginning date of the equivalency approval. If the person does not pass the state test within this 12-month period, the person shall be required to take the state medication aide course.
ALLIED HEALTH CAREER TRAINING LLC
2622 W CENTRAL B112
WICHITA KS 67203
COFFEYVILLE COMMUNITY COLLEGE
COFFEYVILLE KS 67337
DELORES HOMES TRAINING CENTER
6613 PARALLEL PKWY
KANSAS CITY KS 66102
FT SCOTT COMMUNITY COLLEGE
2108 S HORTON
FORT SCOTT KS 66701
HUTCHINSON COMMUNITY COLLEGE
815 N WALNUT
HUTCHINSON KS 67501
INDEPENDENCE COMMUNITY COLLEGE
PO BOX 708
INDEPENDENCE KS 67301
JCCC HEALTH OCCUPATIONS DEPT
21201 W 152ND ST
OLATHE KS 66061
KANSAS COLLEGE OF NURSING LENEXA
7721 QUIVERA RD
LENEXA KS 66216
NORTHEAST KANSAS TECHNICAL CENTER
OF HIGHLAND COMMUNITY COLLEGE
1501 W RILEY
ATCHISON KS 66002
SALINA AREA TECH COLLEGE
2562 CENTENNIAL RD
SALINA KS 67401
SEWARD COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE
P O BOX 1137
LIBERAL KS 67901
TRINITY CAREER INSTITUTE
7506 NEBRASKA AVE
KANSAS CITY KS 66112
TRINITY CAREER INSTITUTE LAWRENCE
LAWRENCE KS 66046
Kansas Medication Aide Training Programs